Don't Stay Up Late: A Fear Street Novel - R.L. Stine

This will be the last times, I will ever read R.L. Stine Fear Street Relaunch. I was a huge fan of his since childhood. I used to have his books but sadly I no longer have any copy due to house fire long times ago.

My biggest problem with the book was not the story itself but the writing style.

The writing style just didn’t work for me. It wasn’t even that it was childish, it was just that it never seemed to flow. I never felt like I was reading a story, it was more like something that was just a summary of what actually happened. I never felt like I was ‘in’ the moment. I always felt like I was an observer, merely seeing what happened instead of feeling it or experiencing it.

The story line was also a little awkward but given that I continue to read it instead of abandoning it, I didn’t mind it as much. It was also addictive because even though I didn't really like the writing style, my eyes were still glued the pages. It still kind of reminded me of a cheesy old horror movie. It was entertaining and actually kind of amusing (not sure if it was meant to be amusing).

I will not say that I hated the book, because I didn’t, it just seemed incomplete to me and I wish there was more substance to it, and the writing so I didn’t feel like I was just reading a summary of what was happening.

If you are a fan of the author, I would definitely say to give the book a shot. But for me, I will look for somewhere else.